HOW GOD SHOWED ME SOME OF MY GROSSNESS

The other morning I woke up like I normally do- hit the snooze, like, a thousand times before I mustered up enough strength to keep my eyelids open. Only that morning seemed a bit harder than usual so I figured some good ole' Instagram scrolling would do the trick of waking up my sleepy eyes.

I came across a friend's story where she was spring cleaning, reorganizing her house and sharing goodies she had bought and just got in the mail, and everything seemed new and beautiful and trendy... and I started to feel kinda gross inside. I didn't know immediately what the problem was, but I knew it wasn't ok, so I stopped to pray and asked God what was happening in my heart at that moment. I narrowed it down to one word: jealousy. And discontentment. Ok, two words.
Yuck.

I vented a bit to God, realized the root of all those gross feelings was sin (and Satan doing his best to get me down) and did my best to humbly apologize, ask for forgiveness and practice some contentment and joy with what the Lord has blessed me with.
I felt pretty good at that point and went downstairs to do some morning Bible reading.

Apparently God thought I had more to learn on the subject because He brought me straight to this passage:

29 What I mean, brothers and sisters, is that the time is short. From now on those who have wives should live as if they do not; 30 those who mourn, as if they did not; those who are happy, as if they were not; those who buy something, as if it were not theirs to keep; 31 those who use the things of the world, as if not engrossed in them. For this world in its present form is passing away.  -1 Corinthians 7:29-31

I'm no theologian. I don't necessarily want to speak to the verses about not mourning or acting as if you're unhappy, but from the context, my best understanding is that even those things in life that seem to overtake us in all the ways are still not what's most important or worthy of all our concern- that position ultimately belongs to God. Because our time on earth is short and after earth comes heaven where God takes that ultimate position. So whether it's real intense heart stuff like your spouse or grief or joy, or whether it's something more simple like the things you buy or use... either way, they shouldn't take precedence over the things of the Lord and what He says is most important. (That's my best non-theologian synopsis for you all).

Anyway, when I read this, what spoke to me most specifically (given my morning Insta scrolling) was the bit about not being "engrossed by the things of the world."
I read that, stopped and thought, "God are you saying this is me right now?" Annnnd I knew the answer was yes.
Engrossed with things of this world is definitely NOT who I want to be.
I mean, that phrase does sound pretty extreme. Do I constantly have all my attention absorbed by wanting newer, nicer, cooler things? No... not always. But did I in that moment that morning? Yes, definitely. And I think the Lord uses extreme examples for us sometimes on purpose- to show us the potential we have within ourselves to get out of hand if we don't reign things in and give them back to Him.

Gosh, I was and am so blessed by the way He redirects me so graciously. I had no idea those verses existed in the Bible, yet somehow the pages just opened right to them. *ehem. Somehow.

At first, all I knew was that something inside of me was feeling a little off- a little gross. I'm super grateful for how lovingly and specifically God was able to reveal the root of those feelings to me. Because the truth is that we sit in those feelings (especially associated with Instagram) all too often.
Do you catch yourself there, too?
Personally, if I don't address it, I'll just start to feel really angry and everything around me will hit a nerve. Then I have to stop, consider what's actually going on in my heart and back track to the real issue. But my anger was really unnecessary all along.

Genuinely, guys, I'm SO blessed and content with all the good things we have and there is really no reason for someone else's beautiful blessings to make me feel lesser or discontented inside. I'd much rather have my heart right before the Lord and practice gratefulness and joy and be concerned with what He's concerned with, instead.

Cause', ultimately, things of this world aren't what truly matters, anyway.

Comments