DIY Geometric Baby Mobile


I made this mobile for my sweet boy's nursery based off of this picture for inspiration. 



I read something somewhere (a reliable source, I'm SURE. Ha) that said baby's eyes are more drawn to mobiles with contrasting colors. Makes sense to me! Thus, my color choices. Or 'neutral choices' may be more politically correct. 

All in all, this little project was super easy, took maybe 45 minutes to complete, and cost me a whole $5. Win, win, win!


Here's my list of supplies:
- 3 sheets of felt in contrasting colors
- 1 cross stitch hoop (just used the inside ring)
- thick cross stitch string... I chose blue
- clear elastic fishing line
- sewing machine + thread 


The first thing I did was cut out a tiny cardboard triangle in the size I wanted to serve as my template. 
I then traced the outline onto my felt and cut out several triangles of each color. 


I laid them out in rows of varying number and in a random pattern, and then went to my sewing machine. 


This part was actually a lot easier than it looks. I just slid the lines of triangles I had laid out right on through, making sure to leave a significant amount of thread on the top end so that I could tie it to my wooden hoop.


Then I threaded through my colored string onto the end of the last triangle in each row. I just kinda looped one long piece of thread through multiple times in the same spot.


... And then cut the bottom of each loop to make the string into a "fringe." Then I had to tie each bit of string together to make sure it wouldn't slide out. 
The tying of string was actually the most time-consuming part of this project. 


Then all I had to do was secure each strand of triangles to my wooden hoop! I just tied one knot at the top of my thread onto the hoop so that I could slide each strand around as I wanted... in hopes that I would be able to balance the whole thing. 

Then I broke out my fishing line and made a cross-cross pattern with two pieces going across the hoop like you see below. 


Next, and finally, I tied another long piece of fishing line into the center of the criss-cross so I could hang the whole thing from the ceiling. 

Again, the goal here was to be able to slide my string around where needed in order to balance the whole thing. 


And that's it... It was ready to go! I hung it from the ceiling and did my best to balance it. 
Turned out pretty cute, I'd say. 

Comments