DIY Bench Cushion... I made that!!

It looks like it might be intimidating, but believe me, making this bench cushion was SUPER easy. I was very surprised with how nicely and easily it came together. 
On the reals, though, it's all thanks to my main squeeze, FabricTac glue (haha... squeeze...get it?). The stuff is awesome! I didn't use a single stitch, nail or staple and the Fabri-Tac made this cushion come together beautifully. 

(If you have a staple gun, I'd say use it instead of glue. Most definitely. But I didn't. The whole thing could fall apart tomorrow and I wouldn't be completely surprised... But I have hope that won't happen!)


Here are the supplies I used:
- Peg board cut to the size of the top of my bench
- 4 1"x12"x12" foam squares
- 1 roll of quilt batting
- Fabri-Tac glue
- Scissors 
- Pretty fabric

The peg board came from Lowes and was super cheap. I've always heard they'll cut things for you to whatever size you need, and it's true! 
I bought a BIIIIG old piece and plan to use the rest in baby boy's nursery (heart eyes emoticon here).

The foam squares you can find at any craft store and can choose a thickness to your liking. I believe you can also buy bigger rolls of foam, but the 1 inch squares were the cheapest option so that's what I went with. 



Here's my boring "bench" in need of some sprucing up. Let me just say, this has been the most versatile piece of furniture I have ever owned. It has served me faithfully as: shoe storage, pantry shelf, TV stand, kitchen storage and now bookshelf/bench. If you ever have an opportunity to own one of these, do yourself a favor and get one!

As you can see, my 4 foam squares fit perfectly. If yours don't you may need to cut them. 
Technically the foam was slightly bigger than the top of my bench- about 1/4 inch- but I like a little fluff to hang over the edges so I didn't mind. 



The first thing I did was glue all of my foam squares together (with Fabri-Tac, of course) to make one big, rectangular foam cushion. 



Then I laid that foam cushion on top of my peg board, wrapped it in quilt batting and flipped it over. 
I had a lot of extra quilt batting so I doubled it up before wrapping and trimmed off the extras. Can't have too much fluff, I say!

Then I Fabri-Tacked everything down. The glue held surprisingly well to both the board and the batting and dried very quickly. 
I ended up having to cut out some chunks of batting in the corners when I folded it over because it was too thick. There was no rhyme or rhythm to it, though... I just did whatever I could to make it stay down. 



Then I went through and did the same thing with my pretty fabric. 
I didn't end up glueing the fabric directly to the peg board, apart from the fact that the glue leaks through the batting... So in essence it technically is glued to the board, but not 100% on purpose. I can't help but wonder if this will last long or not. We will see! But like I said, if you have a staple gun, I highly recommend using that instead of glue. Even though I love Fabri-Tac with all my heart. 

P. S. by the end of this my hands were so cramped and mad at me! That glue bottle is real hard to squeeze and I have little patience for projects that cause me pain. But I pushed through! And it was worth it...
Check it out :)


I still can't believe I made that! Doesn't it look good?! I'm very proud. 

Comments

Post a Comment